Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Cheryl gives time for good causes

Cheryl never counts the time she gives for good causes. Through the years, she’s been involved with many organizations and this year is no different: she will be part of kurlforkids event in April, the DQ miracle treat day in August and she recently joined the board of the Sandra Schmirler Foundation and the Esteem Team at Motivate Canada.

Today, Cheryl is helping the efforts to find a cure by acting as a spokesperson for Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada and the Spring Sprint. "I hope that the funds raised through Spring Sprint help create technological and surgical advances and ultimately find a cure for brain tumours".

This organization holds a special place in her heart as it was her father’s courageous journey with a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) that inspired her to get involved and raise awareness at the first place. “It changed my life,” she explains. “I pretty much moved in with my parents to help them manage it all.” “My dad and I were incredibly close and I was angry at the diagnosis...and did everything and anything to find a cure.”

Which brings us back in 2003 when she created the Curl for a Cure in support of the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. In the five years that this event ran (from 2003 to 2007) over 1.3 million dollars was raised in support of the CBCF.

No comments:

Post a Comment